Saturday, April 27, 2013

Newly Married Couples Are Likely To Gain Weight If...

Just the other day I was looking at my old wedding photos and thought to myself, "how I wish I was still as slim". I'm pretty sure if we looked at old wedding pictures of friends and family, we will be amazed at the difference in weight. The once handsome bridegroom that was slim now have a bulging belly. The then size 6 dazzling bride is now a size 14. What's with marriage and putting on weight?
Well, researchers from the Southern Methodist University took a closer look. They studied if there was a relation between marital satisfaction and weight gain. The study involved 169 newlywed couples. Data on marriage satisfaction and body measurements were collected over a 4-year period. What did they find? Andrea S. Meltzer, a psychologist and the lead researcher stated that spouses gained more weight over time when they were satisfied with their marriage. Those that were less satisfied, didn't gain as much weight. You'll find this study published in the journal Health Psychology. 

So I guess we can safely assume that chubby couples are the happiest couples? In my humble opinion, it kind of makes sense. If you are happy in your relationship, there's less stress. That could mean you're eating better and sleeping better too. What are your thoughts on this? Have you gained weight since you got married?

No comments:

Post a Comment