Here are 5 reasons why you should consider adding interval training to your exercise routine.
- It helps you get rid of that stubborn abdominal fat. The International Journal of Obesity published a research that shows interval training targets your waistline. So, if you want to fit into that skinny pants again, do some interval training.
- Takes less time to exercise. If you're a busy person trying to squeeze in some exercise time, interval training is perfect for you. All you need is 30 minutes instead of 1 hour. And the best part is, that 30 minutes of interval training is actually more effective than 1 hour of steady paced exercise. Just think about it, you are pushing your cardiovascular system during the 'sprint' periods. So even though your workout is shorter, you are burning lots of calories during that 'sprint' periods.
- Increases your after-burn. The after-burn is the calories burned during rest or sleep. If you compare interval training and steady paced workout, after-burn is more for the former. That means, with interval training, you will continue to burn lots of calories even after you've finished your workout.
- It is more fun. Seriously, it gets kinda boring just doing a steady jog or walk for 50 minutes or more. Adding the short sessions of speed in between makes exercise a little more fun. And if you go jogging with your dog, your dog will enjoy those bursts of speed too.
- Increases your endurance. Interval training is a great way to build up your endurance. Very quickly, you'll find that the hills are easier to climb and the long runs or rides are not impossible anymore.
Image Attribution: http://www.flickr.com/photos/atl_cadets/5952052970/